Wednesday, July 09, 2008

RE: Little Green Festival, Lawrence KS, August 2

Kim,

The Grassland Heritage Foundation, the Kansas StreamLink Program, and the Wakarusa Wetland Learners Project would like to work together to provide a “Rolling Prairie Learning Lab” during the Little Green Festival on August 2. I had the event penciled in on my calendar. J

Right now I’m serving as event coordinator for GHF – purveyors of the Rolling Prairie Learning Lab. I also head up the Kansas StreamLink Program and the Wakarusa Wetland Learners Project. StreamLink is a statewide watershed education program. Wetland Learners is primarily known for upper elementary field trips to local wetland areas. Currently these projects are all housed at the Kaw Valley Heritage Alliance office at 412 East 9th Street. Each parties will have promotional materials available.

The Learning Labs include several activities that should appeal to a range of ages. I’m hoping you can help us out with our table needs.

The activities are likely to be something like this:

  1. Plants - A table of fresh plants for people to id, draw, look at with magnifying glasses, etc… I actually divide the plants into grasses & forbs so we need 2 tables side-by-side.

  1. Insect Mechanics - An artsy table with odds & ends for kids to create their own insects (this fits in with the library’s summer reading program) I’ve also got paper dragonflies for kids to turn into puppets and paper “pollinator” masks for kids to decorate. (2 picnic tables ideally)

  1. Dragonfly Story Tree – I actually don’t have a tree but I do have a large dragonfly puppet that sometimes likes to tell stories from a blanket under a tree.

  1. Mammals – touch & feel fur, bones, and maybe even some models of scat…. (need a table)

  1. Pollinators - a veritable obstacle course for kids to try out insect vision (need a small table and an area we can rope off – maybe 10’x10’??)

  1. Soil Tunnel – a shade tarp with a table of soil samples for kids to match up (need a table)

  1. Wakarusa River Valley – Gravity & Clinton Lake (need a table)

These are just my chicken scratches; some of what actually falls into place will depend on the help I recruit.

Please give me a call when you get a chance – 218-5106. Just to say “hi” & so I can sort out a couple of questions I have about setting up.

Many thanks!! -Alison Reber

Grassland Heritage Foundation

Kaw Valley Heritage Alliance, Kansas StreamLink, Wakarusa Wetland Learners


1 comment:

KVHA said...

From: Fkbellemere@aol.com [mailto:Fkbellemere@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 10:47 PM
To: alison@streamlink.org
Cc: olivia.webb@gmail.com; wind-walker@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Little Green Festival, Lawrence KS, August 2

Alison:

My name is Kim Bellemere and I am writing you to inquire if the Grassland Heritage Foundation would be interested in bringing the Rolling Prairie Learning Lab or some other educational activity to the 2nd Annual Little Green Festival on August 2nd and 3rd in Lawrence.

The Little Green Festival is the only festival of it's type taking place in Kansas and Missouri this fall and will welcome participants from all over the region including artists, musicians, non-profit organizations and educators who want to promote sustainability and stewardship of the earth. This year's theme is "Do One Green Thing." Participants will be able to man a booth/table during the festival to promote their green organization or business and/or provide an activity for festival attendees.

A great highlight of this year's event is the Kids Green Zone. This is a special part of the festival where we will provide activities and fun educational opportunities specifically for kids. We have a number of groups providing activities such as crafts utilizing recycled materials, presentations on birds, solar-powered toy cars and solar cookers, and a self-guided scavenger hunt. We think the RPLL would be a great addition. Even if it isn't free for the day, GHF is certainly welcome to provide some other activity or a booth promoting the organization.

The festival will take place from 10:00 - 6:00 PM on Saturday, August 2nd and 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM, Sunday, August 3rd. Saturday is specifically set aside for vendors and organizations to man booths/activities. The Little Green Bluegrass Festival will take place on Sunday.

If you are interested, please let us know. We're excited about the possibility of having the GHF at the event and are available to help in any way we can. Feel free to let us know if you have any questions. I can be reached via email or by cell at 785-840-8104. You can also refer to our website at www.littlegreenfestival.com for more information.

Thank you,
Kim Bellemere